Posted January 20, 2021; last updated March 4th
Thank you to everyone who participated in Legislative Action Day 2021! In case you missed it, or want to relive it, here is the event video.
Pre-event page content:
Please register today for Legislative Action Day 2021, taking place online this year on Wednesday, February 24th, 9:30-11:30 a.m. Look forward to hearing from inspiring speakers, learning how to advocate with legislators, and meeting virtually with your state legislators and legislative staff to talk about issues and policy recommendations to address homelessness in Massachusetts.
This year’s Legislative Action Day event will be sponsored by State Representative Jim O’Day, and will feature remarks from Diane Yentel, President and CEO of the National Low Income Housing Coalition. In the afternoon, participants will meet virtually with legislative offices. Just indicate on your registration form if you need help setting up meetings with your legislators, and we will work to set up appointments for you. See some tips here for meeting with legislators and State House staff. After meeting with legislators and their staff, please let us know how your meetings went by filling out this short legislative meeting feedback form.
- Increasing access to homelessness prevention resources
- Guaranteeing housing stability during the pandemic and beyond
- Easing access to Mass ID cards for people experiencing homelessness
- Passing the bill of rights for people experiencing homelessness and creating a right to housing
- Extending HomeBASE benefits for families facing a return to homelessness
- Maximizing housing and services for unaccompanied youth and young adults
- Improving access to Emergency Assistance shelter for children and families and establishing an ombudsperson unit within the Executive Office of Housing and Economic Development to promote access, equity, and transparency
- Strengthening cash assistance programs for families with children, elders, and people with disabilities
- Creating more housing subsidies under the Massachusetts Rental Voucher Program and the Alternative Housing Voucher Program
- Establishing a right to counsel for low-income households in eviction proceedings
- Promoting progressive revenue raising
Registration is quick, easy, and free: Register now. The Zoom link will be sent to registrants before the event.
If you are interested in being a speaker and sharing your personal testimony and expertise at the event, or helping the Coalition identify speakers, please contact Marwa.
To prepare for the day, we once again are offering a pre-event training session. This year’s training will be on Wednesday, February 17th from 1:00-2:00 p.m. Please RSVP here for the training.
Help spread the word by sharing this link. Additional details will be posted here shortly. For more information, please contact Kelly.
Special thanks to the Nagler Group for being our Zoom hosts for this event!