Domestic Violence Shelters North of Boston

If you or a member of your household are in immediate danger due to domestic violence, call 911.

(877) 785-2020
(877) 521-2601 (TTY number for hearing impaired individuals)

SafeLink is Massachusetts’ statewide, 24/7, toll-free domestic violence hotline run by Casa Myrna. SafeLink hotline advocates are multilingual, and have access to a translation service that can provide translation in more than 130 languages. All calls to SafeLink are free, confidential and anonymous. SafeLink’s state-of-the-art technology allows the advocate answering your call to keep you on the line while you are being connected to a shelter program in your area. This allows callers who are in danger to get help with a single call, rather than having to make numerous calls to different shelter programs across the state.

Alternative House
11 Kearney Square
Lowell, MA 01852d
978-937-5777 (Office)
978-454-1436 (Hotline)
Clients: Female domestic violence survivors and their children.
Capacity: 5 families; 3 individuals; 1 handicap room.
Length of Stay: 3 months–some exceptions made based on individual situations.
Restrictions: Boys up to age 16 allowed.
Services: Handicap accessible; advocacy; referral; parenting support; food pantry; counseling. 
Languages: Spanish.
Admissions Process: Call the hotline or SafeLink for an intake and referral.

Healing Abused Working for Change
27 Congress St.
Salem, MA 01970
978-744-8552 (main office)
978-744-6841 (Hotline)
Clients: Domestic violence survivors and their children.
Capacity: 6 families.
Length of Stay: 3 months.
Services: Advocacy, case management; safety assistance. 
Languages:  Spanish.
Referral: Self — call hotline or main office to be connected to an advocate.

Jeanne Geiger Crisis Center Inc. 
2 Harris Street
Newburyport, MA 01950
978-465-0999 (office)
978-388-1888 (24 hours)
Clients: Domestic violence survivors and their children. 
Capacity: This is a resource center, not a shelter.
Length of Stay: N/A. 
Services: Advocacy; counseling; referrals; family casework; children’s programs; rental assistance; housing programs; temporary accommodation referrals. 
Referral: Call the main office or hotline.